Wednesday 5 January 2022

Comfort Zone – First Project For 2022

 

Before the New Year arrived I had been considering new projects.   A couple of years ago I stepped outside my comfort zone and wrote a book.  That book was on the subject of public speaking.  Then I wrote another book about winter road trips and watching major junior hockey league games.   If you’re interested you can find those books on Amazon worldwide, and in a few Coles/Indigo stores in Atlantic Canada.  Here is a link to Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Jim-Kokocki/e/B083D741FK

Next Project Options

For next projects I have been considering writing a couple of new books.   I want to adapt the public speaking book for the information technology field, where I began my career.  I continue to see talented IT professionals struggle to explain their work in language relevant to their audience, the people who use their products.  Better skills and processes around communication and assessing an audience can help IT professionals. 

I also want to write about the monthly columns I wrote for The Toastmaster magazine when I served as Toastmasters International President in 2015-2016.  I don’t want to simply republish the columns but instead I want to write about the strategy behind each of these columns. When we communicate either verbally or in written format we need to have an objective for the communication.  With each column I prepared I was working to influence and motivate behavior of Toastmasters members.  For this reason I think this book will be relevant to others serving in senior leadership positions.

And the third project relates to communication coaching.  I enjoy planning and delivering keynote style speeches and coaching others to develop and shape their keynote projects.  I’ve done quite a bit of this one-on-one and for the new project I want to document my process and work with a cohort of people who want to develop their keynote product.  This should be very valuable to the cohort participants for learning an approach, and then discussing and sharing of their content, and their ideas and strategy in the cohort.  I know I will also learn from and enjoy their interaction.

Step Outside The Comfort Zone

The cohort project is outside my comfort zone, and therefore the one I will act on first.  Two years ago writing and producing a book was outside my comfort zone. Now it’s time to step outside my comfort zone again.

What is your first project for the New Year?

2 comments:

  1. I have been delaying my Chartered Accounting final exams from years. This year project is to clear 1 group of ICAI finals.

    ReplyDelete

When Audience Members Distract the Speaker

Recently I presented to 130 people at an event at the beautiful Algonquin Resort in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. I followed my usual preparat...