Monday 22 August 2022

Preparing Speech Feedback - About Donald Trump

Have you ever been asked to provide feedback to a presenter? If so, how did you organize your analysis and feedback? Members of Toastmasters become skilled at giving, and receiving, feedback. I believe the ability to receive feedback is underappreciated. It is very valuable to have team members who are eager to consider feedback to improve individually, as well as collectively.

During 2015-2016, when I served as International President for Toastmasters International, there were a great number of public relations requests. There were lots of newspaper interviews, podcasts, some TV and radio. One Wednesday in July 2016 I received a call from our lead PR staffer Dennis. We had a brief chat and then he said the organization had a tremendous PR opportunity.  The Los Angeles Times, a well known and well distributed publication, had asked Toastmasters to write speech analysis and commentary about the acceptance speeches that were to be soon delivered by the nominees for the 2016 U.S. Presidential election. He continued and said the first acceptance speech was the next evening by the Republican nominee, Donald J. Trump.

I was silent. Trump was already controversial after comments about building a wall, and about some groups “not sending their finest,” and with credible allegations about his behavior towards many women coming to light. Dennis heard my silence and quickly said “no, no, this will be good for us, we’re simply providing speech and performance feedback as we do, in Toastmasters style. We’re not commenting on policy.”

We talked a little further, and I clarified and then agreed to prepare a Toastmasters style speech analysis for publication. Dennis said great, the speech would be Thursday night and I had to submit the column within two hours of its completion. The following week I did the same for Hilary Clinton’s acceptance speech.

Organizing For Speech Analysis and Feedback

On the Thursday evening, I watched the speech online with some note paper in front of me. I listed some typical areas to assess and wrote them on my page so I could organize my observations. My list of observation areas included speech structure, gestures, vocal variety, eye contact, and segment transitions. As I watched, I made notes detailing key points and transitions so I could later analyze the flow and see how one part of the speech led to another. Once the speech was completed, I reviewed my notes, analyzed the delivery, and prepared my commentary. Once I was satisfied, I submitted it to the Times within the two-hour deadline. Here is a link to the content (may be behind a paywall).

 https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-republican-convention-2016-trump-toastmasters-20160721-snap-htmlstory.html

Because I’ve been speaking for years, when I’m watching a speaker, I usually perform some sort of analysis considering their skills and techniques. Mainly I focus on the clarity of the message and how well it was delivered, and hopefully received by the audience. I don’t typically offer any feedback unless it’s requested, or I notice a glaring opportunity for improvement or an outright error or miss. I’ll note that when people become Toastmasters members, they’re implicitly indicating they desire developmental feedback, and each receives feedback from a variety of people over their tenure, some feedback publicly and some privately. And public figures, based on position, have opened themselves up for commentary and forms of criticism.

The Value of Structure and Experience

I was fortunate to have experience and some structure for analysis and organizing my thoughts when preparing this speech commentary for the Times.  Structure is helpful in planning and preparing presentations, and also in assessing speeches and then delivering developmental feedback.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Audience Members Distract the Speaker

Recently I presented to 130 people at an event at the beautiful Algonquin Resort in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. I followed my usual preparat...