Thursday 1 June 2023

Comfort Zone – How Writing Helps Speaking, How Speaking Helps Writing


In May 2023, I published the book Write Like A Leader on Amazon sites worldwide. Later this year, I will place some paperbacks at some local bookstores. This involves visiting local stores, signing a simple consignment contract, and committing to re-stock when necessary.  A national distribution arrangement would be nice, but I’m not prepared to put energy into this task. I wrote this book, and others, to assert a point of view, to assist readers, and to enable more paid speaking opportunities, which has occurred.

Write Like A Leader deals with planning, reflecting, and using the written word as one method to connect with teams.  It’s drawn from my personal experience. From September 2015 until August 2016, I was required to deliver a monthly Viewpoint column while serving as Toastmasters International President. In the book, I describe my process for capturing ideas well in advance, and later developing the written content.

A little planning goes a long way with a task such as this. The requirement to write a column helped me clarify my thinking about the organization and the role I occupied for twelve months.

Writing Helps Speaking, Speaking Helps Writing

Planning and writing on these topics improved my speaking.  Speaking on these topics improved my writing. The content of these columns became core material for other work.

Should you be interested in Viewpoint columns in The Toastmaster magazine and past issues of the magazine, please visit https://www.toastmasters.org/magazine/issues

Should you be interested in the book please visit amazon.com/author/jimkokocki

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Audience Members Distract the Speaker

Recently I presented to 130 people at an event at the beautiful Algonquin Resort in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. I followed my usual preparat...