Monday 26 June 2023

An Audience in Southern British Columbia & Vancouver Island

On June 8, 2023, I presented online to District 21 Toastmasters. The audience was comprised of Toastmasters members from southern British Columbia and Victoria Island.  Later I watched the video recording of the one-hour session.  I will provide a link to the video below. 

Each of us can learn from watching recorded performances. In reviewing my performance before this audience, I am pleased with my conversational approach and my management of timing and the material. This was scheduled as a 40-minute presentation with 15 minutes of Q&A.  The event started at 7:00 p.m. Pacific and 11:00 p.m. my time.  As I rewatch the video, I can hear tiredness and less precision in my voice. Approaching midnight is not my best time of day, so I need to be sure to be well-rested before similar events.

The material covered included the practicality of the Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership model of delegation and the leadership lessons contained in this amazing article on leadership from Zenger-Folkman in Harvard Business Review https://hbr.org/2012/12/why-do-we-wait-so-long-to-trai. 

Also, I spent some time calling attention to a McKinsey paper on the future world of work and the skills citizens will need to prosper.  This material helps make an audience of Toastmasters better aware of the valuable, transferable skills we require them to exercise during their weekly meetings. The McKinsey material is available here  https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/public-sector/our-insights/defining-the-skills-citizens-will-need-in-the-future-world-of-work

Should you wish to view the one-hour presentation please visit this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df3Jj_uICj4

This was an enjoyable virtual visit with this audience in British Columbia, and based on comments received the audience did receive value. I’ve only in-person visited Vancouver in the province of British Columbia, although I hope to explore the province more fully someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Audience Members Distract the Speaker

Recently I presented to 130 people at an event at the beautiful Algonquin Resort in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. I followed my usual preparat...