Sunday 20 August 2023

My Process for 30-second Speeches

 During the week of August 14, 2023 I prepared a series of 30-second speeches. Each of these will be recorded for later use.  At our Toastmasters International annual conference in Nassau, Bahamas, a few of us have been asked to record some short instructional videos offering tips about leadership and public speaking.

I find it easier to prepare a 15-30 minute speech than to prepare a 30-second speech. A longer speech enables me to identify speaking points, select among them, then sequence them and practice speaking to each point for two to three minutes. With this approach, I figure out how to best fit the points together for a smooth flow.

30-second speeches need to be very focused. Short speeches such as these are typically recorded as video assets, for re-use and re-play. For me, these short speeches require more planning effort than a longer form speech.

My Process for Short Speeches

My process for short speeches and longer speeches do have similarity. 

1.    Identify the broad topic area and identify sub-themes

2.    Answer the question “what is my purpose with this specific audience at this event”

3.    Select only the pertinent points to address the purpose (In a 30-second speech this means 3 or 4 sentences)

4.    Organize the points into a presentation and practice the flow

30-Second Speeches

As I’m preparing 30-second speeches, the brief video content means I only have time for three or four sentences. As these videos will be instructional, I need to address the why and how, that is, why this technique is helpful and how to execute.

 

My Planned Leadership Topics

In preparing my topics, I draw from my experience, and select key points from some longer presentations.  I plan to speak on;

1.    A basic, repeatable speech plan leaders can use and re-use

2.    Helping team members understand core values by utilizing the Toastmasters technique of Table Topics

3.    The immense cross benefits to leaders of speaking and writing

 

My Planned Public Speaking Topics

For public speaking tips I plan to speak on;

1.    My favorite, and fallback, speech plan structure

2.    Mixing logical and emotional appeal in a speech

3.    How speech purpose must determine content

4.    How practice and participation enable improvement

 

Results

At a later date I’ll update this post with links to the videos. The actual videos took the form of brief interviews, where a question was asked related to the planned topic area.

Regardless, planning made the process easier, as the interviewer was able to frame a question around the planned topic area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Audience Members Distract the Speaker

Recently I presented to 130 people at an event at the beautiful Algonquin Resort in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. I followed my usual preparat...