Friday 27 October 2023

How To Introduce A Speaker – Set The Stage

 

When a speaker prepares a presentation, her introduction is sometimes an afterthought. However, a great introduction sets the stage for a speaker. A quality introduction can be very focused and succinct. When left to chance introductions can be too brief, and sometimes overly long offering detail that may be intriguing, but not relevant to the presentation. 

A Simple Formula For Speaker Introductions

A simple formula for speaker introductions answers two questions for the audience;

1.    Why this topic (for this specific audience)?

2.    Why this speaker?

A host can quickly and easily craft an introduction by asking and paraphrasing these questions to the speaker, and then shaping the answers for presentation to the audience.

Speaker Perspective

After a solid introduction, a speaker can quickly start into her presentation without needing to offer more detail about her credentials.  An audience needs to be sold on a speaker’s credibility, and if the host can set the stage in this manner, that’s a huge assist for the speaker.  Without such an introduction, the speaker will need to professionally introduce her credentials and credibility.

Biographies

Some speakers will share a long biography or list of achievements with an event host. Usually then the host will feel compelled to read the biography to the audience in its entirety.  Some speakers want that, but certainly not all, and not me.  I prefer a brief, pertinent introduction that sets the stage for me, and enables me to quickly get on with my work with the audience.

To that objective, I prefer that an introducer either conduct a brief interview with me, or choose relevant points from my biography and then offer some personal reflection on interactions we’ve had.

Ideally, a host who invited you to speak delivers your introduction, and conveys some of his excitement about your credibility on the topic.

Host Perspective

If you are hosting, and introducing, a speaker, you can very quickly craft an excellent introduction. Some speakers will want any introduction provided to be read as is. Others will want their introduction personalized.

 To prepare;

1.    Read any introduction provided, and/or do some research on the speaker. Speakers love to hear that you performed some research on their background.

2.    Ask the speaker if she wants an introduction she provided to be read as it is written. If yes, your approach is clear. If no, proceed with the following queries.

3.    Say something like “Your talk seems very interesting to me. What components do you think will be most interesting for this audience?”  Make notes.

4.    Then say something like “I read your background. Tell me more about how you became interested in this topic?” Make notes. 

5.    When you review your notes, shape the details for your audience. Answer the questions "Why this topic, why this speaker." Think about the audience perspective. Some in the audience will have the view of “why should I care about this topic, and just who is this speaker?”  Your job is to inform them, and engage their interest.

6.    You may choose to offer brief comments about how you enjoyed your short interview with the speaker before the event.

Variations Of The Questions

As host, it’s obviously not advisable to bluntly ask the speaker “Why this topic for my audience and why are you credible on the topic?” However, that is what you wish to discover. Here are some variations of the questions.

1.    Why this topic (for this specific audience)?

-         How did you first become interested in this subject?

-         How does your talk relate to the people in the audience?

-         What do you expect the audience will think or do differently as a result of your presentation?

 

2.    Why this speaker?

-         How did you first become interested in this subject?

-         What did you find most surprising as your knowledge developed?

-         Are there related areas you plan to explore further?

Conclusion

A great introduction sets the stage for a speaker by engaging an audience to become eager to listen. A poor introduction places additional requirement on the speaker to engage the audience.

A gracious host can prepare a tremendous introduction by asking just a couple of well-considered questions, and crafting the responses to stimulate audience interest, thereby setting the stage for the presenter. 

Postscript – A Personal Example

At a marketing conference in 2006, I was asked to introduce a speaker. The speaker, Adam Van Koeverden, was a competitive rower, and the only material I had been provided was a long, sequential list of competitions, results and achievements, as pictured below. This was a six-page list of great results, but I couldn’t just read these out.

    Aug.     Canadian Sprint CanoeKayak Championships - Ottawa, Ontario - K-2 200M 2nd

    Aug.     Canadian Sprint CanoeKayak Championships - Ottawa, Ontario - K-2 1000M 1st

    Aug.     Senior World Championships - Duisburg, Germany - K-1 500m 1st

    Aug.     Senior World Championships - Duisburg, Germany - K-1 1000m 2nd

    Jun.     ICF World Cup # 3 - Gerardmer, France - K-1 200m 3rd

    Jun.     ICF World Cup # 3 - Gerardmer, France - K-1 500m 1st

    Jun.     ICF World Cup # 3 - Gerardmer, France - K-1 1000m 1st

    May.     ICF World Cup # 2 - Szeged, Hungary - K-1 200m 7th

    May.     ICF World Cup # 2 - Szeged, Hungary - Medley 4 x 100m 5th

 

As I read the list, I was considering what I could do with the material. Deep into the list, on the fourth page, I saw the Lou Marsh award, now known as the Northern Star award. This is an annual award presented to Canada’s top athlete of the year who is chosen by a panel of journalists.  Van Koeverden won the award in 2004 and this was buried in the list I was provided.

I’m a sports fan, but had not been aware Van Koeverden had won the award. I’ve not paid much attention to the award before or since, but past and recent winners have included Steve Nash, Terry Fox, Sydney Crosby, Masters Champion Mike Weir, Wayne Gretzky, U.S. Open Champion Bianca Andreescu, Jacques Villeneuve and more. Van Koeverden shared very prestigious company as an awardee.

My introduction became easy to assemble. As I recall, it went something like this;

1.    We’re at this conference to celebrate achievements by marketing professionals from across the country. Our speaker has also achieved a long list of successes. I’ll acknowledge just a few of his achievements.

2.    Our speaker was recently Canada’s flag bearer at the closing ceremonies of the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens where he won a gold medal for rowing in the 500 metre and a bronze medal in the 1000 metre. He is a two-time world champion in the 500 metre and 1000 metre, winning four Olympic medals and eight world champion medals.  In 2004 he was recognized as the winner of the Lou Marsh Award, as Canada’s top athlete.  Previous winners include Terry Fox, Wayne Gretzky, Mike Weir, and Mario Lemieux.

3.    Please help me welcome Adam Van Koeverden.

I also recall from that day that Adam arrived about 20 minutes before he was to speak as a result of flight delays.  We were relieved to see him.  He was quickly seated next to me and I clarified his name pronunciation (VERY important).  He then asked how I planned to introduce him.  I expect that because of the list I was provided, and others must have been provided, that some of his introductions had been less than stellar in the past.  So, I quickly walked him through my approach and he nodded and said ok.

As I delivered his introduction, I could tell I had set the stage well. In particular, I noticed audience engagement as I listed other winners of the Lou Marsh award.  

An introduction is a speech, albeit a short speech. Such a speech is worthy of some planning and preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Audience Members Distract the Speaker

Recently I presented to 130 people at an event at the beautiful Algonquin Resort in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. I followed my usual preparat...