Saturday 15 June 2024

GYCZ – Professionally Ending A Networking Conversation


How do you professionally and respectfully end a networking conversation that isn’t going anywhere?

Earlier this year I helped run a workshop on the topics of public speaking and networking skills. During the event a question was asked that I hadn’t previously thought about. The question asked was “how do you professionally end a networking conversation that isn’t going anywhere?”

Although I’ve navigated such situations, I hadn’t thought about a consistent, repeatable approach for such scenarios. Through a group discussion, we shaped an approach. Our group was comprised of newcomers to the city and 75% of the audience would be attending a networking event/job fair the following day.

My general advice for initiating a networking conversation is to;

1.    Ask what brings your conversation partner to the event

2.  Ask some follow-up questions about their reasons

3.  Volunteer some information about why you’re attending the event

4.  Assess if there is mutual opportunity

 

An Example

As an example, your conversation partner may be searching for employees in the Information Technology field. You can ask some further questions about industries supported, about specific IT skills they seek, industries the company works with, etc.

You can then offer your reasons for attending. Maybe you’re seeking a position in marketing. Ideally your conversation partner will ask some follow-up questions.

As the conversation begins to lull, it’s fine to look for a graceful exit if there’s no obvious fit, regardless how pleasant your conversation partner happens to be.

A simple approach is to thank your conversation partner for the discourse, demonstrate you were listening and indicate you’ll pass on the opportunity if you meet some attendees skilled in IT, and to ask if the partner could suggest someone you might want to talk with about your ambitions.

 

Sample Dialogue

“Hi my name is Jim. What brings you to this event?”

“Hi I’m Mary and we’re here looking for potential hires for our IT operation.”

“Interesting. What specific skill sets are you looking for?”

“We’re looking primarily for people with experience in cloud computing and cybersecurity.”

“I see.  Cloud computing and cybersecurity.  I’m here because I’m searching for a position where I can use my experience in marketing, preferably in product development.”

“I see.”

… Conversation lull

“Well thanks for the conversation.  If I encounter an attendee with cybersecurity or cloud computing background, I’ll send them your way. Do you have a business card, or can we connect now on LinkedIn?”

“Thanks again. Is there anyone you’d suggest I speak with about my desire to find a position in marketing?”

 

Ending Conversations in General

When networking as a job seeker, it is critical to build one’s network, as you never know how an opportunity might emerge. However, you do want to make effective use of your time, and respect the time commitment of other attendees. If a conversation isn’t productive, it’s appropriate to professionally wrap it up.

 

Previous Networking Post – A Simple Networking Tip

I have previously written about networking here

https://gycz.blogspot.com/2024/02/a-simple-networking-tip.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Becoming A Confident Speaker - Jeremy Bennett Podcast

Recently I interviewed with Jeremy Bennett for his Insights from Atlantic Canadian Business Leaders podcast. Jeremy asked some excellent que...