Friday 27 May 2022

The Gift of Someone Else’s Enthusiasm

Today I had a conversation with a new member of our Rising Tide Toastmasters club.  She joined last week and is eager to start participating, receiving feedback, and developing her skills.  The first speech a member delivers is always an Ice Breaker, a four-to-six minute speech to introduce herself to the group.

New Customers and New Toastmasters Members

The new member clarified our modest expectations. Although Toastmasters isn’t a pass/fail organization, she wanted to discuss the expectations, the general approach to her first speech, and also asked for some more advanced tips. I offered a couple including to always focus on what she as a presenter desires the audience to do differently, think about differently, or what action she wishes them to take. She will deliver her first speech at our weekly meeting Tuesday 7:15-8:30 a.m.

After our chat I thought that it’s an absolute gift to be exposed to someone else’s enthusiasm. When we offer a product or service that we play a part in enabling, and someone is excited to participate or buy, that is very energizing. It will be fantastic to see her first forays into public speaking, and watch and support her development.

Sales -  Recognizing Enthusiasm And Asking For The sale

An element to this is recognizing someone’s enthusiasm and then supporting and nurturing it, whether we’re developing their talents or offering a product or service. I remember many years ago moving to a small town.  When I was getting the television service connected (yes television - this was many years ago), I chatted with the installer about the move.  I mentioned I liked the town, but I had a few disappointments including being out of range of the college radio station I liked to listen to back in Saint John.  This was before such services were available on the internet. 

When I indicated I missed that station the installer said his company had a service that made this available.  I responded with a simple, delighted "really?!?!”

“Yeah, we just grab the signal, run it through some amplification and then rebroadcast it on one of the channels." I didn’t really care how it worked, but he felt a need to explain this.

I was pumped to know that I might be able to receive that radio signal. I was ready to buy. But there was only silence between us.  An overly long pause.

Finally, I offered "how much does that cost?"

"Something less than $10 but I’m not sure of the exact amount."

I could afford $10 a month. I was ready to buy, but again there was silence.

After another extended pause I said "can I get that?"

And he said "sure, no problem."

Years later I still recall this interaction as an example of asking, or not asking, for the sale.  Perhaps the technician didn’t recognize he had made the sale and only needed to close. As a customer I was enthusiastic, and ready to pay for this additional service, and the installer just needed to ask. I’m sure he wasn’t trained in sales, but I continue to wish he had recognized my enthusiasm, and asked, but instead I had to ask to purchase.

Recognizing Enthusiasm

I’m pleased that our new Toastmasters member is so enthusiastic.  It’s a gift for me to witness such enthusiasm. I’m sure it’s a gift for you when you’re greeted with spontaneous enthusiasm. To be successful at sales, marketing, and working with people in general, we need to show enthusiasm for our products and services, and recognize, acknowledge and nurture it in others.


2 comments:

  1. Fantastic article Jim. Enthusiasm is the root of positive energy. And yes, asking for the sale during the atmosphere of enthusiasm is critical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glynis! Yes sometimes we don't recognize enthusiasm and we fail to recognize opportunity

      Delete

Adapting to Audience Needs

Earlier this year, I was invited to speak on the topic of public speaking to some newcomers to Saint John. The event was scheduled to last t...